At the March Dallas Fitness Ambassador event (at Beyond500), Double Dose Bakery brought in their delicious toaster waffles for us to enjoy after class. Alexis and Samantha are the brains and beauty (like, seriously, inside out gorgeous) behind these amazing gluten free waffles. I loved them so much, I went up to Royal Blue Grocery in Highland Park Village to pick up a box and play with them. Here are 5 different variations (technically 8, but who’s counting?) and recipes for delicious waffle toppings using Double Dose Waffles.
Berries Galore Waffle
This is a traditional style of waffle with a fun twist. Try one or both of these variations.
1. Toast waffle 2. Top with blueberries and strawberry bits 3. Add your favorite topping
The photo above is topped with vanilla protein powder.
The photo below is topped with homemade blueberry syrup*
* Blueberry syrup recipe (makes 3-4 servings) 1. Boil 1/4 C water, 1/4 C blueberries, juice from 1/4 lemon and 1/4 C Stevia in small pot stirring frequently 2. Reduce to simmer and let blueberries burst open 3. Pour over waffle (Store remainder in airtight container in fridge).
The Elvis Waffle
This way is so good, the king himself would approve. Here are two delicious variations.
(to make above) 1. Toast waffle 2. Slice 1/2 banana and top waffle 3. Sprinkle with cinnamon 4. Put 1 Tbl peanut butter in a plastic baggie 5. Cut tip of baggie and drizzle on waffle
(to make below) 1. Toast waffle 2. Spread 1 Tbl Peanut butter on waffle 3. Slice 1/2 banana and top waffle 4. Sprinkle with cinnamon 5. Drizzle with honey
Who says waffles are just for breakfast? Make this quick recipe for breakfast, snack, lunch, or dinner.
1. Fry egg 2. Toast waffle while egg is frying 3. Spread 1/4 avocado on waffle 4. Top with fried egg (I like mine over easy/medium so it is runny) 5. Chop 1/2 Roma tomato and sprinkle plate 6. Add salt+pepper to taste (as desired)
Magic Breakfast Waffle
(Also known as egg in a hole breakfast). One of Colton’s favorite breakfast foods in magic breakfast (with toast). His Aunt Cleonne used to make it for him when he stayed with her, so every now and then I surprise him with it. I thought, why not make it with a waffle instead of toast.
1. Toast waffle for 30 seconds 2. Take a cookie cutter and make a hole in the center 3. In a skillet, melt coconut oil 4. Place waffle and hole on skillet to grill 5. Crack egg in hole 6. Cook until waffle can be flipped without breaking egg yolk (for over easy/medium) 7. Flip and cook on opposite side and sprinkle with salt and pepper to liking (flip circle also) 8. Scoop onto plate and pour syrup (I use agave/maple blend from Trader Joe’s ) on circle.
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwich
You can use your circles from the previous recipe to create the ultimate, delicious gluten free dessert!
1. Place a scoop of ice cream between two waffles circles. (I like to use Trader Joe’s gluten free chocolate coconut milk frozen dessert). 2. For a fun and messy variation, you can top with chocolate fudge. (I make mine homemade by heating 1/3 dark chocolate cacao bar with vanilla almond milk in microwave for 30 seconds and stirring.)
So there you have it…one delicious waffle, several ways. If you live in the United States, you can have Double Dose waffles shipped to you (or if you are in Dallas pick up at the Royal Blue Grocery!). They have generously donated a box of waffles for the raffle at my 80s Barre and Bubbles Birthday Bash, so one of you lucky attendees may win a box of Double Dose waffles!
Which of these do you most want to try? What are your favorite waffle toppings? Let’s chat, leave me a comment below!
PIN for later