When I was younger, I remember watching TV and movies with my mom and everything made her cry. The main character would have a happy ending… she would cry. Someone died… she cried. Someone was reunited with their dog…she would cry. It never made sense to me why she would cry when all of these happy things (or sad) would happen.
Fast forward to high school: I was sitting on my bed watching “Father of the Bride” and noticed I was getting misty-eyed. This is not a sad movie folks! I remember in that moment thinking “oh, no! This must be what it is like to officially be a woman.” The older I get, the more ridiculous the things make me cry are. For the last couple of weeks, I have been making a list of things that make me cry so you can laugh with me at how silly most of them are.
In no particular order:
- Best man speeches (sometimes maid of honor speeches)- There is just something about grown men getting emotional that gets to me. We didn’t have speeches at our wedding, so it is something that I always wish we did.
- Father of the bride speeches- see number one
- Extra gum commercials– Like this one or this one.
- Commercials with dogs– Tears me up every time (I am seriously crying watching this commercial now). Don’t even get me started on the ASPCA ones.
- On that note, movies where the animal dies.
- Nicholas Sparks movies– Why does someone die in all of them and why does it wreck me?
- When Jennifer Lawrence cries– I told you some of them were ridiculous.
- When Colton does something sweet unexpectedly– Clean the house, offer to make dinner, or most recently, leaves me sweet notes all over the house before going out of town.
- “What Would You Do?” TV show– Seriously, every time this show is on and I watch it, I end up crying. When people you don’t “expect” make the “right” choice/stand up for someone else/ say what we are all thinking I get emotional.
- Curtain call– If you are a non-theater person, this one may make zero sense to you. I performed growing up in various plays at church. In junior high and high school, I was in theater and did every play we put on (except musicals, I was terrified of singing in front of people). At the end of a show, the actors come out with all of the energy and excitement from finishing and take a bow. It is my favorite part of the performances I watch, because I reminisce on my days in theater and how proud we would all feel after a show.
There you have it, things that make me cry (list 1). I am sure there will be several additions of this each time I get up to ten.
I have shared the things that make me cry, now it is your turn. Is there anything ridiculous that makes you cry? Leave a comment below.